Sunday, December 1, 2013

Childhoods Witnessed


Childhoods Witnessed

I made ravioli once after you climbed in the window.
I probably shouldn’t have though,
it was canned ravioli.

I probably shouldn’t have done a lot of things.


jasper and me


When I was alive,
I wished for her.



"birthday wish"  -sylvanfairy      oil stick etc. on wood-board



I felt a spooky whisper on the day I wished it.
It was sunny and I was standing by the side of my bed.
My room was puke purple,
or headache pink,
whichever.



ruby wish and me


If y'all died,
I would lie down in the road,
flat...
silent...
screaming…
or vise versa
I can’t remember.
Someone would hold my hand.
and do the same,
or vise versa.

My aunt blew up in a plane when I was very young and
they say pieces of her were scattered
over the city.
My mom cried in a howling sound
and we thought it was all about the dog
because we were sent outside with hotdogs to feed it.


I love my sister
But I don’t think she knows how much.


"jordan in fairy form" -sylvanfairy      mixed media on canvas


and I crunched through it all,
hands on my back,
butt on a ball.

My blood pressure went up a couple of times.


sylvanfairy art journal pages


I am in the process of finding
some treasure
that is most likely
Me.
I can’t wait,
even though I know it will take a lifetime.

"windswept" -sylvanfairy    mixed media on watercolor paper


Oh, and now, when I get in the car and drive away from our house,
my anxiety careens off freakin' track if I don’t tuck people in bed.
I am supposed to, I think.
I’m always looking at that.
Am I here?
But I left.
Should I go back?

I was abandoned one thousand times or more.
And not just by my parents
when I was young,
and old.


"the yellow house" -sylvanfairy       acrylic and pencil on wood-board


Friends and lovers left me.
And I am still marked up.



"jenny" -sylvanfairy      mixed media on canvas



Some of my extensions don’t reach out.
They think I am cracked nuts.
They don’t know my story.



"nothing stays"  -sylvanfairy     collage mixed media on canvas



Don't pretend you know me if you don't
and don't judge me if you do
You never asked
and I never told. 

sylvanfairy art journal pages


“You were a good kid” I breath, 
or my heart beats.
“And I love everything about you!”

You make me crumble to pieces,
just by walking by,
each of you.
I will die with you on my mind…
Last thing,
before I
go.
Swear.



cisco swift


I live in me.
Me!

I feel colors.

I saturate my soul visually.

I sneak away to an imagined home
where there’s a daily paper,
green over grown grass,
grand semi-scripted fairy stories
in painted orchards
with daddy long legs all about.

I know exactly what I look like
and what I want to wear.
And I try not to smoke.
But I do.


me midsummer's eve

I drape my pain in fabric,
and wash it out with titanium white.

Pencil over parts.

Spread it out on a large flat board
to dry

like a storybook page or
cryptic message
ready for processing
into
beauty 
and
joy.

-June 2011


"my secret birthday" -sylvanfairy    mixed media on canvas

2 comments:

  1. Sylvan, This is brilliant & beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete